Sunday, September 25, 2011

Computer is still hanging on, maybe it's a software thing. My bro will try to fix it in Dec. 42 Ways to Say No (or buy time until you can) When someone asks you to do something for them or with them: 1. The enthusiastic (polite/helpful etc.) part of me would like to say yes, but the rest of me is over committed (more realistic/unwilling). 2. I don't know! I'll have to think that over. 3. I wish I could help you out, but I'm over extended/overcommitted right now. 4. I'm going to pass. I'm really trying to slow down my pace these days. 5. That's something I'll have to think about. 6. I don't have my calandar with me, but I can call and let you know tomorrow. 7. Sorry, I'm already booked. 8. No, I can't make it after all. But it was nice of you to ask. 9. I'll think it over. 10. Thanks, but I'm way too tired. 11. No, that's not really my thing. 12. Don't hold your breath. 13. I have an appointment that day/night. (And you don't have to say what it is!) 14. That's not for me, thanks. 15. Oh, that sounds interesting. Let me think about it and get back to you. 16. I'm not sure if I'm free that day/night. Let me check and call you tomorrow. 17. Sorry, but my schedule is too full right now. 18. The part of me that wants to make you happy wants to say yes, but the rest of me won the vote. 19. Thanks, but I don't think I will. 20. That's not really something I enjoy. 21. That doesn't work for me. 22. That doesn't fit for me. 23. When you want to have some fun saying no, try one of these: Not in this lifetime! Forget it! Dream on! You must be kidding! Not in a million years. Are you out of your tiny little mind? When Someone does, asks, or says something invasive: 24,I'm not comfortable with that. 25. I'd like to ask you not to _____ 26. I'd like you to stop____ 27, Please stop doing that. I don't like it. 28. I'm uncomfortable right now with what you're saying/doing. 29. That's not something I talk about except with family. 30. Let's talk about something else. 31. I want to keep that to myself. 32. That's my business. 33. I'm surprised you think you have a right to that info. 34. I don't feel like talking about it. 35. Are you asking me this because...? (Try saying this one with a look of disbelief.) 36. Sorry that's not something I talk about. 37. I never answer questions like that. When someone says something you disagree with: 38. I see it differently than you do. 39. We certainly don't agree about that. 40. I have a different point of view. 41. My experience of _______ is somewhat different. 42. I hear what you are saying, but I don't agree with it. From THE COURAGE TO HEAL. Ellen Bass & Laura Davis 4th edition. Collins Living. A lot of difficulty saying no, disagreeing as when I was a child, that was not an option. Feeling good these days. Will attend RHETORICAL LANDSCAPES: Reshaping Technology, Theory and Tradition at Colorado State University-Pueblo and speak on POETRY, PLACE and TRAVEL.

No comments: