Sunday, April 03, 2011

Led Zeppelin/ Rock N' Roll



I sent the following poems to a journal today:

"The Silent One"
"The Good Dream"
"The Prodigy"
"Meditation"
"Grandparents"
"In Between Notes"

Hope to start doing some writing, generating some new work. Mostly I've been revising. I have to get back to revising the manuscript this week too. I think "The Good Dream" is pretty good and "The Prodigy" needs some work, but I sent them out anyways because I wanted to get some work circulating, lots of work circulating. Didn't realize the one was missing something until after I sent it out. I love that you can submit online now. Geez, it's been so long since I sent work out, that the process has really changed.

G has bronchitis, so I really hope I don't catch it. ugh.

Will go to El Paso, Texas in July and try to make it to Canto Mundo. Not sure I can make it though. The key is to keep writing, no matter the difficulty. If I can't make it I'll be bummed. I look forward to seeing fellows new and old.

Discipline! Discipline! Discipline! Discipline!


I wrote a large number of poems about sexual abuse, violence and trauma which I have difficulty sending out, but maybe I should just send them out. I don't really know what kind of journals would be open to such work. Maybe such work needs to be in prose instead of poetry. The poetry of trauma seems of necessity to be flat, matter of fact. It's difficult to explain, but I've heard that before and it does seem to be the case. Also, the bigger problem is that maybe people don't want to read it. Maybe it's meant for others who have undergone similar trauma in their lives. Violence leaves a great deal of turmoil and difficulty coping that maybe only someone who has undergone it can understand. One forgets events, that come back years later and wakes one from the fog of forgetting. I know this to be true, but I also know that an audience unfamiliar with such things might get lost. I don't know. I will look at some of these poems tonight. The worst thing is I still struggle with embarrassment. Hopefully, I will get over that. I have a large number of poems I wrote at Yaddo that deal with this and it was horrific and I am not sure how an audience would react. Maybe I shouldn't care, just put the work out there and see what happens.

Discipline! Discipline! Discipline!

I dropped my printer and it fell into several pieces. Luckily my mom is sending some money so I can buy another one.

I feel good about writing these days.

Onward!

I need to try to write something tonight. I think I'll feel better if I at least get a few phrases and/or lines done.

No comments: