Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525



Looks like I'm stuck working at 7-11 till something better comes along, so my fantasy about going to El Paso has just fallen through. I like this weird song. I will go to EP for one night after Canto Mundo is over in Albuquerque. Concerned about having enough for the hotel at Canto Mundo and the gas too, but things usually turn out fine in the end. I'll be there one way or another.

I need to try to write again to maintain my sanity. Running the register is quite difficult for me still. I do okay, but I still mess up. I prefer the cleaning, so I don't have to deal with impatient customers. Over all things are okay. I'm moody with the prospect of working there, but it's probably good for me. It definitely gets me out of my head and into interacting with people and out of that abstract cushioned academic world (and yes, academia has no clue what working class means-- We forget the reality of it as we teach). Working at 7-11 is absolutely different than teaching . Period. Trust me. Try it yourself if you'd rather disagree with me. Seriously, get that minimum wage job and tell me how it's all the same. Go for it! I'll trade!! I'm just thankful I can teach 2 classes this fall.

Writing is a necessity. I need to look back at the various characters I meet at work and how people relate to one another and function.

No comments: