Monday, June 07, 2010

Cat Stevens - Wild World



I’ve written quite a bit lately. Concerned about forced/coerced rhyme. It feels natural to me, but someone was bothered by it in 7. Not sure what will happen with that manuscript. Feeling pretty good about what I’m writing despite concerns about the red pen of doom ;) here in Colorado.

I am trying not to worry what others are doing and expecting. It’s difficult and full of potential rejection, but then again I am thinking about what it means to create art. It means and must mean more than acceptance and camaraderie.

This is not to say I don't desire fellowship with other artists, but I think it runs the risk of leading to lukewarm work. I'm finding my desire to fellowship and to be accepted by others lessening and lightening. If I can do so without judgments involved it will be better, but it is difficult. I have difficulty tolerating some things. But in the end I think there always has to be some price paid, some sacrifice for the pen to leak blood or for our work to bleed and sing and have it's own beat and rhythm.

There's something invigorating about working at a convenience store, something good and helpful to my work rises amidst the exhaustion, frustration, humiliation and day to day survival.

No comments: