Sunday, May 23, 2010



I am cold this morning again with the fans on but the house will be cool this afternoon when I go to work. I am thinking a lot about dbt and mindfulness as I continue to read and take notes from the Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook.

Resistance and hindrances to mindfulness are:

"Desire refers to the wish for things to be different-- right now! This can be a wish for different sense experience (to "feel better" or "feel happy or peaceful," for example_ or to become someone or something different than what you experience yourself as now...

Aversion means having anger or ill will toward what is here. . .

Sleepiness means just that...

Restlessness is the opposite of sleepy. It can be very uncomfortable. It is a "storm" of thoughts, feelings, and sensations that demand movement and are quite distracting.

Doubt is that inner voice that says, "I can't handle this. I don't know how to do it. . . .


Work wisely with hindrances to mindfulness

recall that no matter how many times you get what you desire, you always want more. . .

... recognize anger and ill will as some of your strongest teachers. Resolve to learn from them...balance them by developing thoughts of compassion, kindness, and forgiveness.

...sit up straight, splash water on face, take a break...

...relaxing, breathing, counting your breaths until the restlessness subsides."

...for doubt, especially when your mind is racing everywhere, it can help to concentrate attention in the present moment with some resolve and steadiness.

Finally, remember to take a kind and interested non judging attitude toward the hindrances when they appear. When you can treat them as teachers, not obstacles, they will cease to be hindrances.

p. 113 DBT Workbook

*

I want to write a poem about Milosz's eyebrows or at least a poem with such eyebrows in it.

*

I need to write a book review of yes, The Scoundrel and the Optimist by Maceo Montoya this evening after I get off work.

*

My left leg is hurting very badly from an old knee injury, but I seem to be getting more used to the job and being on my feet.

*

No comments: