Monday, November 08, 2010

Jack Johnson - Go On



I still have some trouble getting into Ginsberg's "HOWL". Is it because it was frowned upon as self-indulgent when I was getting indoctrinated in grad school into what poetry is good and what poetry is bad poetry? I really do find him a bit self-indulgent I think, but I like "America" and the poem "I Am Waiting" by Lawrence Ferlinghetti.

"...I am waiting
for Aphrodite
to grow live arms
at a final disarmament conference
in a new rebirth of wonder."

-- Ferlinghetti

I used to be in awe of wonder, the clouds, movement of them, the sunlight beating gently against my face. I think there will soon be time for wonder again.

I can't have poems without it.

Who was it that said a poet had 15 years? I don't think so. But yes, something of that innocence and wonder goes. Well, next year will be a year of seeking beauty.

No comments: