Friday, April 08, 2011

Today I wrote a poem about plants and women tentatively titled: "Woman as Afterthought." I am bummed I can no longer post videos, only link to them.
In any case, yesterday I wrote 3 poems and today the 4th, so now I need to work on revising them. Battling discouragement as a poet. I mean, Lord, the bullshit is just sooooo prevalent, but instead I will focus on the new poems and probably sending the manuscript out in the next week or two, somehow, as I am utterly broke. I may possibly wait until May 1st when I get my check. Yet, not having to teach is helping tremendously. I am less anxious, less overwhelmed and eager to write. I have a lot of anxiety and am, according to many, chronically shy in person. My last reading was a total flop as I'd grown so discouraged about po-biz, I felt no need to write, but the fact is, I need to write. I need to get my thoughts down and play with words. But more importantly, writing, the actual process of sitting down and getting something on paper makes me happy. I find it most often utterly pleasurable.

My writing group meets tomorrow and I will try to use the last of my gas to go. :(
Luckily, I will no longer be responsible for the car in July.

Got my hardship deferment for student loans in the mail today.

*

My roomate is still very sick. Luckily I haven't caught it. We'll see.

*

I am looking forward to reading some books and doing reviews. I need to order some press catalogs or request review copies. Hopefully, I'll soon find something I can review. My latest review is scheduled to come out in the El paso Times this week or next. It is on Maceo Montoya's THE SCOUNDREL AND THE OPTIMIST, a very good book I recommend.

I've spent some time on the bus and recognize more and more how a life in academia can be very offset from the lives of everyday working class people. I am blessed to be able to spend my days interacting with every day people who have to work long hours. I am very blessed to finally have time to write. Speaking of that, I need to get back to it.

No comments: