Monday, April 12, 2010

AWP went well. I learned several important lessons, the foremost one being to have confidence in my work. The second one is that I've worried far too long about things and people that have no bearing on my work or its reception. I attended some good panels, but also wandered about the book fair and had dinner and drinks with some wonderful writers! It was overall a great time!

I taught my final classes of Writers in the Schools today and have the first graders left. I will really miss doing this. WITS is a great organization that I encourage all poets to get involved with because it is meaningful, exciting work. I'm honored to have been part of it. I hope to do it again next year!!! I attended a Writers in the School panel, a panel on Cave Canem, a panel on re-mapping Aztlan and a panel for the new anthology Fire and Ink! My take on AWP is that it was a reality check for me, a time to stop being self-deprecating and morose. I am doing fine. All is well. Everyone is healthy.


I realize after a long time of listening to people talk about social action and community that Writers in the Schools is a grassroots organization that is truly involved in working with underprivileged students in the community. I greatly admire people who write the grants and get this stuff organized. Wow. I think that takes a special individual. I am very impressed with everyone I met that deals with WITS.

I have papers to grade, poems to type, poems to write, poems to revise, poems to read and a life to live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you and hearing you read your work, Sheryl. Denver was an awesome experience.

Take care,
Oscar

M.A. Ramirez III said...

Sheryl,

It was fancy meeting you at AWP!

I'm looking forward to reading your work,
Miguel

P.S. In case you need a refresher, I met you through Amit at the book fair.