Saturday, June 22, 2013

Exhausted and recognizing that I do this writing here to relieve stress, irritation and over all misplaced ambition.

I've been writing a lot. Recognizing I should open a tumblr account or something, but I like the blog format. We'll see.

Worn out by poetry snobs these days. Seriously.

Let it go--

Let it go--

Let it go--

One thing I learned at Leadership Academy (Colorado Mental Wellness Network) is that to be a leader means to serve. I don't think this necessarily means serving in a highly visible role. Sometimes it means lurking in the shadows and teaching something like developmental writing while peers are teaching poetry or ethnic literature or something that may make them feel quite self-satisfied. Sometimes it means helping others quietly. Sometimes, it means working outside of mainstream institutions in the community, for real.

Like I said, I'm a bit irritated, but it's time to think about the third collection I am working on, and I am working hard at it. There is always work to be done, and I suppose that doing such work is the backbone to contentedness-- in part.

I have no desire to dictate to others what needs to be done via the "community" as in my opinion, everyone is different, everyone has their path. Trying to force my path on someone else doesn't seem like a worthy endeavor for me. I believe in freedom and responsibility need not be someone else's demanding agenda.

Listening to Fur Elise and relaxing, trying to relax, outside beneath a large black umbrella. A mesh of net to keep bugs away, flowers everywhere. Time to revise and write.






1 comment:

Dana Bennett said...

Sheryl,
I like the textual and visual pieces of your blog. And I love your honesty and your willingness to search for ideas while still expressing your frustration and irritations. Hear, hear! Yes, teach developmental studies and writing within the community. Bless you.
Dana