Monday, August 09, 2010

Fast car -Tracy Chapman



I'm wondering if there is such a thing as social mobility anymore or if it is just a myth. I'm wondering if I will ever rise out of the social injustice of adjunct mode or not, but I've come to accept that my education provides me the ability to do more than simply work at 7-11, so maybe in some ways getting an education is worthwhile, but the economy is simply brutal now. This I know to be true. I may have to stay at 7-11 through September, and it is likely to be the case even if I start teaching since adjuncts get paid once a month.

I'd like to write seriously on what's happening re: adjuncts and more importantly the lack of diversity at academic institutions who claim to be concerned about diversity. A diversity of experience for them includes minorities from Ivy league schools. This seems strange, so maybe I do belong at a community college or some high school somewhere helping kids. It's difficult to dream sometimes when we feel boxed in by reality, and yes dear folks there's a reality that many people live. We'll have to see what the future holds, but my whole academic life, throughout graduate school I was told I would have it easy because I was female and "hispanic." Not!!!!!! All the white men I went to school with got tenure track jobs. So it seems mainly female hispanics from non-Ivy league schools are not being hired. I would like to name names and tell their stories.

No comments: