Saturday, October 29, 2011



Feeling better as sun came out after snow. I prefer that sun! I have 16 minutes left on computer. Mom mailed my new notebook today, so I'm excited to receive it. Have printed some poems out here at the library for 20 cents a page, which seems ridiculously high, but I will slowly print stuff out, and I'll also submit electronically to a number of journals. Will revise more intensely when I have computer.

The library is good for me as it gets me reading. Will check out poetry section before I leave as I've almost finished Milosz, which I heard the Polish pronunciation, but I tend to use the American pronunciation which is something like Miloch. I really like his essays, his reflections on many lost to World War II death camps, as well as Russian gulags. He rubbed elbows with a number of significant personalities including Camus, which I used to pronounce with the "s". ;) Same with Goethe early on- mispronunciation. In graduate school, once, I couldn't pronounce "mimicry." But as someone pointed out to me yesterday, I am somewhat knowledgeable about poetry and literature as I did study it for so long. I am getting ready to turn 47 and am well aware that I am quite a bit older than a number of "emerging" poets. All I can say is it's been a struggle to have time to pursue what I consider a leisurely passion. Poetry is a luxury.



2 comments:

Rebel Girl said...

I remember all my mispronounciations too - some of them the same as yours! I was such a reader but never heard anyone talk about what I was reading, never had anyone to to talk to about it...

Readers Anonymous said...

Hi Sheryl!
C